[meteorite-list] Son of Rosetta?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:27:27 -0600

Hi, All,

    Was it the CSS's Mt. Lemmon scope? (There are two big
scopes on Mt. Lemmon; three, if you count the one downhill
a bit on "Mt. Bigelow"). The size estimate of a 9-meter ball
for 10% albedo becomes a 1.5 meter ball (or equivalent
area) if shiny reflective metal. (If it's a "stealth" alien spy ship
with 1% albedo, it's 30 meters across!) The Ariane 5 upper-
stage ATV is 10.3 meters long and 4.51 meters in diameter;
don't know how reflective it is.

    While Rob and Larry know roughly 100 times more
about this than I do, I wonder why there is only an
"extremely remote" chance of it being the Ariane upper
stage?

    Trying to Google up Rosetta's flight plan (which has
changed more often than some people change underwear)
suggests (but does not state unequivovally) that there are
no powered maneuvers until the middle of 2011 when the
engine will fire to shift the new eccentric orbit acquired by
this recent (and earlier) flybys to one that will match 67P/
Churyumov-Gerasimenko's orbit.

    Therefore, I assume that all the gravity assist maneuvers
were performed entirely by "ballistic ballet"! Since "launching"
a probe from its upper stage requires only that the probe move
away just fast enough to clear the launch vehicle -- 10 cm/s?
or less? -- it would seem that they would have very similar
initial orbits.

    In addition to the big humping engine Rosetta has (capable
of 2300 m/s delta-v), it has 24 little thrusters for trajectory and
attitude control. Have they been fired? The Mars flyby was
a "blind" darkside pass; the probe was in safe mode shutdown
(but the lander took a look at Mars). Usually, you tweak orbits
at the bottom of the gravity well (closest approach) where your
money's worth more, so I guess there was no "thrusting" at Mars.

    I wouldn't rule out the launch stage vehicle unless somebody
had taken a copy of the Rosetta flight data up to launch and run
a stimulation on it with the upperstage velocity deficit (10 cm/s)
applied to Rosetta and seen where it would be by now. Maybe
they've done that already; don't know. There's hardly been time.

    Assuming the launch stage would be "trailing" the spacecraft,
it would have flown by Earth (first time) and Mars too, a little
later than the spacecraft. This would have changed the "altitude"
of the flyby (but I can't even find whether the flybys were "leading"
or "trailing" the respective planets). Would such delayed flybys
"twist" the inclination this much?

    Oh, wait, I'm beginning to get it. If the launch stage had its
inclination altered by the past flybys, it wouldn't show up for
this last Earth flyby at all. It has to have come from some
other point in solar space than Rosetta did. Gee, I hafta do
trigonometry now? Two orbits, tilted at 4.6 degrees, a million
miles out from their future intersection point... scribble, scribble.
The two objects are separated by some 80,000 miles vertically,
between the planes of their orbits. That's definitely planet-missing
distance...

    Unless... If the upper-stage vehicle's inclination was altered
right at the starting point, it would have had a different orbit, but
would made the same flybys at slightly different angles, since
the orbit begins at a node and all future flybys occur at nodes?
That's pretty unlikely, too, I guess, but it sounds more plausible,
even if it isn't.

    Rob's suggestion of a probe from Churyumov-Gerasimenko
is looking better all the time! It's supported by the fact that the
trailing object's inclination of 6.5144 degrees is similar to 67P/
Churyumov-Gerasimenko's inclination of 7.1205 degrees instead
of Rosetta's "flatter" 1.9156 degrees. Checking out the nosey
Earthlings...

    Maybe there are just a lot more objects out there than we
think there are. Or maybe the Universe just likes to tease us.

Sterling K. Webb