[meteorite-list] Since Scale Cubes are a topic today

From: Delbert Waterbury <paseclipse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 13:56:21 -0800 (PST)

Hi Sterling, yeah I agree with you to a point. However
I'll throw this in there for you:

I am a Mechanical Design Engineer and occasionally I
pick up projects of something someone built and all
they have is a picture with no documentated dimensions
or anything to help you figure the size out. So I have
to get an X dimension and a Y dimension from that
person, calculate the scale of the photograph, then
start designing away. This is not the most accurate
way to design things, but you can get the design in
the ballpark range.

So in a situation like I describe above, do you think
a scale cube could help out? Absolutely! I've
experienced this first hand. Using a scale cube is a
lot better and more accurate that someone telling me
"oh yeah, that part is about XX long". So if you ask
me about taking "measurements" from a photo's I'll
tell "heck yeah you can do it".

As for putting a quarter in a picture for scale. Yea I
think this is good too because most people know the
exact size of a quarter and they can visualise it a
lot easier. However the major problem with a quarter
is the fact that it lacks the third dimension.

Since I hunt meteorites, a scale cube is perfect for
my in-situ pics. And no, I'm not planning on using it
for "exact" measurements because I have no intention
of selling any of my finds.

Just my two cents.

Del

--- "Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net>