[meteorite-list] Ad Rare fall for sale/Tree smasher

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 14:34:34 -0400

Mike's anecdote is far from anecdotal....

I was in Bandung Indonesia obtaining samples of Banten and other
Indonesian exotics when the museum curator attempted to remove what
was at least 95% of the single mass of Meester-Cornelis from what
appeared to be a tropical fish tank filled with a translucent, amber-
colored oil.

While M-C appeared completely solid, we were shocked when his hand
literally passed through the meteorite and cloudy wisps of material
ever-so-slowly began to settle to the bottom of the tank.

Lesson #798: do not keep stoney meteorites in a petroleum distillate
for....tens(?) of years.

best/ d

michael brecker's pilgrimage on npr
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10459940