[meteorite-list] Is this true?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 00:51:32 -0500

Hi, Michael, List

    Yes, BUT...

    We do not actually know how much He3 the solar wind
leaves behind in the lunar regolith, what the total quantities
are, or how hard it is to extract. Regolith samples that have
been analyzed show very small amounts of He3.

    The article cited by Mike Bandi says there MAY be 20
parts per billion of He3 in the regolith, but there may be only
4-5. It MAY be found in the top three feet, or the top three
inches, or the top three centimeters, or... We don't know.
Nor is it known how easy or hard it is to extract.

    The isolated fusion reaction of He3 with hydrogen produces
no neutrons but only protons (so that the energy could be
captured as electricity). Since He3 itself is not radioactive, nor
is hydrogen, and the yield is electricity, such a reaction could
be characterized as non-radioactive nuclear fusion.

    Sound to good to be true? It is. The reaction temperature for
He3-H fusion is much higher than conventional H-H fusion or
He3-He3 fusion, so once the He3-H mixture is heated, H-H fusion
will produce LOTS of neutrons. Dirty, dirty. And since the ignition
termperature required is so much higher, it's a lot harder to fire up.

    Don't Worry! There's lots of He3 in the top of the gas giant
planetary atmospheres, to be scooped up and fired. We'll have
all these little difficulties cleared up and be pumping out the
terawatts in no time. Check with me about the year 2250 and
I'll tell you how we did it.

Sterling K. Webb