[meteorite-list] S. Utah

From: Mike Jensen <meteoriteplaya_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 16:02:38 -0600

Hi Pete
Actually if you have ever heard of the Donner party that will tell you
about the chances of finding meteorites on the slat flats. Part of the
reason the Donner party (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party)
was so late was because they took a "shortcut" across the slat flats.
Their steel wagon wheels got quite stuck mud and slowed their progress
quite significantly.
I have also driven along I-80 through the heart of the salt flats a
few years ago. You could see where someone(several people actually)
decided to drive off onto the flats and they immediately became stuck.
The tracks did not go forward but were pulled back.
In other words quite a large amount of the area is so soft anything
that lands on it over a large area will sink into oblivion. Obviously
there are hard areas where you would not get stuck but it is nearly
impossible to to differentiate the hard areas from the soft ones.
Besides salt is really hard on survivability of meteorites anyway.
I know I could find much easier areas to hunt for meteorites in Utah myself.

Mike
--
Mike Jensen
Jensen Meteorites