[meteorite-list] "SNEAKY LITTLE DEVILS" NJO CONFIRMED METEORWRONG

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 13:49:09 -0500

Hi,

    In the Illinois case, the (sharp) reporter for the
Bloomington Pantograph discovered that a big
woodchipper was operating in the neighborhood
(well, about 1000 feet away) at the time, verified
by the actual woodchippers, which makes it the
almost-certain source of what analysed out as a
man-made object.
    In the New Jersey case, it's now been proved
what was only highly suspicioned then: that it's a
man-made object, too. But as far as I've heard,
no one has identified any specific potential source.
The Big Chipper sounds good to me, though.
    The assertion that it's "space junk" is always
possible, but I personally doubt it. Space craft
are designed to minimize weight by all means
possible, including the distribution of stress and
the avoidance of massive strong points. In a word,
space craft are rarely made out of big solid chunks
of stainless steel. This chunk is irregular, so it
would have to be an ablated remnant of a much
larger chunk, yet it shows no particular surficial
evidence of ablation (none to my eye, but I've
only seen bad photos).
    A purely terrestrial source is almost certain,
but there are no specifically suspicious sources
like the (running) Bloomington woodchipper.

Sterling K. Webb