[meteorite-list] Hal Povenmire Contact Info?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 17:45:49 -0500

Hi, Everybody,

    Ah, this is the internet at its most typical.

    Before characterizing a man's work, you really
ought to know something about them. Try: b. 1939;
meteor observer and photographer of over 2000
fireballs; discovered the upsilon Perseids; first to
map the full Georgiaite strewnfield; worked on the
Baker-Nunn Satellite tracking cameras; worked
for Project Apollo; and some of his bits'n'pieces
are still sitting on the Sea of Tranquility; has 190
publications. Carolyn Shoemaker named asteroid
(12753) Povenmire after him.
http://www.astronomytoday.com/astronomy/interview3.html
(also includes a summary of the lunar origin theory)

    Povenmire's last book, "Tektites: A Cosmic
Paradox" (1997), contains a perfectly reasonable
summary of tektites generally, much information
about Georgiaites, on which Povenmire is
something of an authority.

    It then has a series of essays about the origin
question, first by John O'Keefe, who supported
lunar origin, and another by the foremost geochemical
authority on tektites, the appropriately named Billy
Glass, who supports terrestrial origin. Then, we get
O'Keefe's answers to Glass, and Glass's answers to
O'Keefe, and back and forth again... each of whom
have points the other has trouble with.

    The is also a completely balanced bibliography
(199 items) of all the major scientific papers (up to
the date of publication. Whether he's changed his
mind about the origin of tektites in the last ten years,
I can't say (I've changed mine about 7-8 times, altho
I never liked the Moon as the culprit).

    He published an enlarged edition of this book in
2003. He's changed the subtitle from "paradox" to
"enigma." See The Meteorite Times:
http://www.meteorite-times.com/Back_Links/2003/January/Tektite_of_Month.htm
which also gives his address:
    Hal Povenmire
    215 Osage Dr.
    Indian Harbour Beach, FL 32937-3508

    The telephone directory says his phone number is
(321) 777-1303. As far as finding him goes, I get
about 2000 hits on Google with his name. Shouldn't
be too hard to find if you have a computer and a
minimum of two fingers.

    As far as tektites being settled, over and done with,
finished, as a puzzle, forget it. There are still plenty of
unexplained inconsistencies for every theory to be
embarrassed by. One problem is that what most people
think of as "one" theory, like the impact theory, is
really multiple impact theories. Glass's impact theory
(requires silt-sized sand grains but not coarse grains)
is contradictory to Melosh's impact theory (tektites
derived from deep sediments) which contradicts the
impact theory that derives them from surface deposits,
and so on. All the impact theories are different!

Sterling K. Webb