[meteorite-list] Where have all the meteorites gone?

From: Mal Bishop <magbish3_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 14:30:12 -0400

Since Paul mentioned this about material drying up on eBay, I've been
wondering a little about this eBay seller called, 'jlacroix1' ( I've also
followed/watched
one or two others for the past month or so who seem to be following sort of
the same pattern).

Here's an example of what I'm referring to (which I'm sure many of you
already know about):

http://cgi.ebay.com/64-27-KGS-NEW-CAMPO-DEL-CIELO-METEORITE-142-pounds_W0QQitemZ120117201192QQihZ002QQcategoryZ3239QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He seems to peddle a lot of Campo in the 100+ (40 kg and up) lbs. range for
what I consider unbelievably
low prices for their sizes. Even if they're not high grade or sculpted
specimens, I don't understand how he can offer the amount of material he
seems to be
always offering at, to me anyway, such low and unreal prices!

For all I know, he may be well know by many of you, and even a member of
this list in excellent standing. His has a stellar feedback rating
of an unbelievable 100% out of nearly 3000 transactions ( I mean not one
slightly disgruntled buyer/ seller for any reason at all, ever). Can
someone just shed some light on my skepticism with these too good to
believe offerings. Maybe I'm just too jaded for my own good. I'm sorry if
I'm challenging someone who is completely beyond reproach in any manner or
degree whatsoever. I really don't mean to, I just don't understand this
phenomenon in this day and age, especially when it comes to eBay. I know
the dealers
in our community and their reputable ways, but this just makes me wonder.

I mean when I purchase a sculpted, and top rated AAA Campo, I pay nearly
that much for a specimen in the 20 to 30 lbs. (10kg to 12Kg or so) range
forget nearly
150 lbs.!

Appreciate any clarification on this from those out there that know.

Best regards,
Mal