[meteorite-list] Tornado snatches 1, 000 pound pallasite meteorite

From: Mike Fowler <mqfowler_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 13:49:07 -0500

> It could be tough to find. If a dense rock like that was in a field
> and a
> tornado went directly over it, it probably would not have moved at
> all.
> However, it was suspended in a building of comparably much lighter
> material
> with a large surface area. Collectively, when the building was ripped
> apart, it could have been launched a considerable distance. Having
> virtually
> no aerodynamic properties It is most likely within a 1/2 mile
> radius of
> where it was originally housed. It may even be embedded in the soft
> earth.

I agree with Charlie. I don't think it would be moved much, if any.
I think a wind greater than the terminal velocity of the object in
free fall would be needed to lift it, and that would be several
hundred miles per hour. If it is truly missing, I would be willing
to bet on theft.

Mike Fowler
Chicago