[meteorite-list] Greensburg hit with tornado

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 11:11:45 EDT

Hello List,

As many of you know, with my recoveries at the Brenham site, I bought a
house in Greensburg, Kansas a while back as a location to base my field work
from. I got a call last night from my brother in Wichita wanting to be sure I
wasn't at my house in Greensburg, when the news of the tornado hit. This last
week I was in Iowa on a hunt, and I was planning to return to Kansas
yesterday. At the last minute I decided to return to Arkansas first instead of going
straight back to Kansas.

Reports are that 100% of Greensburg is damaged, and 70%+ of the buildings
are destroyed, so I am expecting my home to be gone.

Of course I have dozens of close friends in and around Greensburg. And my
heart and prayers go out to them. The uncertainty of their well being as well
as the conditions of their homes is on the forefront of my mind.

The town is evacuated now, but I plan to get back up there as soon as I can
this week.

Yesterday Greensburg's claim to fame was the world's largest hand dug well,
and the 1,000 pound Brenham Meteorite they had on display. This morning it
is "the Kansas town that got wiped off the map." It is amazing what can
change in one night.

It is a reminder to all of us what is really important in life.

More news when I get it.

Steve Arnold