[meteorite-list] Greensburg

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 11:41:10 -0700

Dear Mark and List:

Mark, thanks for posting those updates, and the email from Steve.

Steve just called me on his cell phone and -- as per Mark's report --
he is fine and was not in Greensburg at the time of the tornado strike,
but his house was likely hit as it was only a few blocks from the Big
Well. Steve told me that all power is out in the county and he has not
been able to contact the landowners with whom he's worked so closely,
and who have become friends. The Binford family, who own a significant
part of the Brenham strewnfield, attended the Tucson Birthday Bash in
'06 and I know many of you had the pleasure of meeting them at that
time. The Binford farm is only a few miles outside of town, so we're
hoping for the best for them and their homes.

A number of our colleagues and fellow List members have spent time in
Greensburg, including Mark and his brother, Phil Mani, Art Ehlmann, the
"Cash & Treasures" team, Sonny Clary, Blaine Reed, and obviously Steve
and his family, and myself. The current lead story on MSNBC.com
includes video footage which shows the shocking scale of the
destruction:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com

The people of Greensburg were always friendly and welcoming to us. It
was a charming historic Midwest town and this is a very sad day indeed.
Steve does not have a tornado shelter under his Greensburg house, so
we're just glad he and his family were not on-site last night.

My thoughts go out to the survivors today, and I hope they will find a
way to rebuild the town.

Respectfully,

Geoff N.
www.aerolite.org