[meteorite-list] Space junk re-entry just misses Chilean jetliner

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:30:48 -0600

It would be normal to hear sonic booms if the plane was within 100 km or
so of the object, which could easily be many kilometers higher. I've got
many pilot reports of meteors level with or below the plane, when this
was clearly not the case. Of course, typical meteors that are 100s of
kilometers away may be seen below the plane (but distances are usually
reported too close by one or two orders of magnitude).

While it certainly isn't impossible for meteoroids or space junk to
survive (burning) to aircraft cruise heights, it's not common. Until I
hear evidence other than just the pilot's report, I'll assume that what
actually happened was far less dramatic than what is being reported.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com