[meteorite-list] CALIFORNIA-REGISTERED PROFESSIONAL GEOLOGIST - Final

From: ken newton <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 12:50:13 -0400

Dave and List,
I don't know what his expert would say because I didn't ask or relay
that info (sorry). You not only confirmed Norm's observations (that it
was petrified wood) but added "not a palm wood". So, I (for one) have no
reason to doubt your expertise that it came from Utah!

List members Joe Kerchner and Pete had also contacted him. Their helpful
comments caused him to reconsider his meteoritic conclusions. The seller
was grateful for being spared the ordeal of selling an item "falsely."

I think Norm phrased it well, "Everyone, please be advised that, in
general, professional geologists and geological academicians know less
about meteorites than list members!" Equally importantly, as in this
case, the List members show a willingness to respectfully share that
knowledge with others, great or small. But that is what the List is all
about, isn't it?

Best,
Ken Newton