[meteorite-list] Fredericksburg & Dutch Flat

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:30:55 -0700

Hi Mike and List,

I can't speak to the pairing possibilities between the Fredericksburg
iron and the Richland iron, but I'm reasonably confident that the
Dutch Flat iron is not a repatriated Sikhote. While Dutch Flat is
a "kissing cousin" to Sikhote-Alin for many (but not all) trace
elements that were analyzed, it is also quite similar to the
Ainsworth iron. Morphologically, Dutch Flat is noticeably
dissimilar to Sikhote-Alin, so I'm inclined to believe it is
not transported. Terrestrial age dating would resolve the issue
(since Dutch Flat -- if unpaired -- would almost certainly be
far older than 60 years), so if any researcher is interested
in carrying out such a test, I would be willing to provide a
sample from the small remaining mass I have. --Rob