[meteorite-list] FW: Illinois meteorite

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:48:00 -0700

Elton, All,
Oh, give it a rest - read the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites,
page 54, first paragraph.
...Every writer that I know of has stated that irons do possess fusion
crusts - Buchwald, Nininger, Norton, the list goes on.
Hell, I would've thought that the pictures of Tim Heitz's Chilean iron
would have shown you....in case you haven't seen them, here:

http://www.meteorman.org/Oriented.htm

In any case, do what you want - hold your ground, etc - but I wouldn't
expect anyone to believe you when you claim to know better than these
such well regarded researchers in the field of meteoritics.
We know you don't think irons have fusion crusts. Just about everyone
else does. Get over it.

That said, I would say this object is probably not an iron meteorite,
though I must say it's better looking than the last two iron
'meteorites' to come along.

Jason