[meteorite-list] New Paper in Chicxulube -K-TBoundaryControversy Published

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:22:58 -0500

Hi, List,

Before we all fall victim to the romantic
appeal of the isolated lone figure who defies
conventional reasoning, you have to consider
the possibility that the isolated lone figure is
dead wrong.

I too deplore the inaccessibility of scientific
argument, reasoning, and discovery without
barrels of cash, journals that cost $5000 a
year for a subscription, and other insanities
(Thank you, Elsevier Monopoly!). We all
understand that the goal of science is keep
people ignorant. (Wait, is that it? I thought...)

But the thought that anybody would waste
good money on Gerta Keller is also troubling.
In the case of controversy, you can usually
find lots of discussion that is intended to
be accessible so you can hear the yelling.
So it is here.

First, to get some feel for the quality of
Gerta Keller's work, read this page:
http://www.geol.uni-erlangen.de/index.php?id=146

No one has a better nor more thorough
job of "dissecting" Gerta Keller than Smit.
Follow the links through all of this material:
http://www.geo.vu.nl/~smit/debates/gsa.htm
You will find a long exposition about the
Brazos River strata (and Keller's assertions
about it). This is a very blunt, frank, and
complete discussion for the most part
(something fairly rare in science), focused
on Keller's failings.

Here's another of Smit's pages about (and
with links to) a vigorous CCNet debate on
the subject:
http://www.geo.vu.nl/~smit/forums/CCnetflareup.html

Scroll down to the last photo on this page:
http://miac.uqac.ca/MIAC/chicxulub.htm
for a view of the Brazos strata in question.
(You'll probably want to read all of this
page, actually.)

Obviously, dating techniques cannot pin down
the exact date of the impact since the techniques
all have error bars, but oddly we know that the
Big One fell in JUNE, something that I find
fascinating. We just don't know what year it was...
http://palaeo.gly.bris.ac.uk/communication/Hanks/eff.html

A clever demonstration of the likelihood of
the layers in question being formed by the decay
of a jillion tektites from Chicxulub:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc97/pdf/1176.PDF

Anyway, if you just Google "Chicxulub Brazos" you'll
find oodles and gobs of reading on Texas Mud and
Falling Rocks, Keller's side and the Other side. The
Internet is (semi) free, after all.

If there was a 300,000 year gap from Impact to
Extinction (or 30,000 years or 3,000 years or 3
weeks), my basic reaction is "so what?"

To me, the Asteroid Detective, the fact that the
Dinosaur died a few minutes after the Gun was fired
is not proof that the Gun didn't do it. "The bullet
didn't kill him; he bled to death outta that bullet hole,"
says the Rock Mob; "You ain't a thing on me, copper."

Sterling K. Webb