[meteorite-list] Object That Hit Illinois Home Note Likely A Meteorite

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:57:33 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007/03/09/news/doc45f1ebb102e37418649115.txt%3E

Object that hit home not likely a meteorite
By M.K. Guetersloh
Pantagram (Bloomington, Illinois)
March 9, 2007

BLOOMINGTON - As testing continues it is looking more and more likely
the metal object that crashed through a Bloomington couple's home may be
something manmade instead of a meteorite.

The object, nearly a pound in weight and about the size of a deck of
cards, punched a hole in a window and the computer desk Monday morning
at David and Dee Riddle's house, 25 Partner Place.

The steep angle with which it hit the house and the density of the
object led professors from Illinois State University to investigate it
as a possible meteorite. They also could not rule out something manmade,
however.

Robert "Skip" Nelson, an ISU geology professor, said Friday that because
of testing so far, the object is looking less and less like it is a
meteorite.

"But we still want to test it to be sure,??? Nelson said. "We can't rule
it out yet."

With ISU's spring break starting Monday, Nelson said the object will be
sent off for testing next month to U.S. Geological Survey's center in
Flagstaff, Ariz.

Dee Riddle said it does not matter to her if it is or is not a
meteorite; she just wants to know what it is.

"I really don't have any feelings one way or another," she added.

Dee Riddle operates a home day-care center and was just on the other
side of the bedroom wall when it crashed into the house. Initially she
thought a bathroom mirror had broken.

In the meantime, Dee Riddle said representatives from Allstate Insurance
Co. have been out to the house. They determined the damage is covered by
their homeowners' policy, she said.

No matter what it is, Nelson said the department has been able to do
some practical work in the case.

"We are going to get some good science out it," Nelson said.