[meteorite-list] Recent E-mails

From: Mark Grossman <markig_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 14:35:21 -0500

Just a note from a new member. Since I am fairly new to the meteorite field, I have been mainly watching the postings and learning what I can. I've posted a couple of questions and purchased a few items from some of the members, and I can say without a doubt that the members have been very, very helpful with the responses. Thanks to all of you who have helped me out.

With that said, I have found many of the recent e-mails that I have seen to be somewhat disheartening, and based on the subject lines, I am starting to delete more and more e-mails without reading them, which is unfortunate, because I joined the list to read e-mails and learn what I can.

I know I am new, and many, many of you know each other for many years, and I don't mean to interfere or say anything inappropriate. I just wanted to let you know that some of the back and forth does not present the meteorite list in the best light to new members, and certainly does not reflect the vast wealth, knowledge and experience that almost everyone (except for me!) on the list has.

In addition to providing a means of communication between members who know each other, the list has an enormous potential to inform, educate and promote the hobby and the profession to members, new and old, as well as the public, and I just hope the latter doesn't get lost in all the recent back and forth between members.

So having told the list the impression that is being left with at least one new member, I will go back to watching the postings.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Mark