[meteorite-list] Paleo EL3 Surface Features

From: Phil Morgan <pkmorgan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 18:12:20 -0700

Please forgive the similar posting, but my original title wasn't very
descriptive and I have a couple of new questions. Note also that I didn't
intend to diss the discussion about "flat flying window crashers". I've
forgotten all the calculations being applied but it's interesting to hear
the analysis.

I never thought this EL3 was very visually interesting, but I'm getting a
kick out of it so again please excuse my curiosity.

BTW, I've received one vote for the EL3 family and one for a furnace
clinker. Gary, thanks for the photo. I have some of the brownish pieces as
well but this one seems different. Might be the blue part - or a furnace
clinker.

So what does the exterior of these paleo EL3s look like if anything
interesting at all? I believe it was Michael Cottingham who had some
advertised on e-bay with fusion crust. Might be have fusion crust, leached
rind, and nothing?

Norbert Kammel has a ferrocrete Wolfe Crater impactite described as limonite
deposited from solution. Looks very similar to the exteroir of the item in
question and as I understand it (but could very well be wrong), the
mechanics could have been similar.
http://www.rocksonfire.com/met-ex-iw22.htm

Here are links to my original pictures again. Any further comments?
20x interior
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/pkmorgan/postingpics/what.jpg

Here is the whole thing. The pebbles stuck would seem to be a mini version
of the cobble conglomerate:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/pkmorgan/EL3/EL3macro.jpg

 And here is what those shiny areas look like up close (again 20x):
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/pkmorgan/EL3/EL3a.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/pkmorgan/EL3/EL3b.jpg

Thanks again and regards to all,
Phil