[meteorite-list] Suspected Meteorite GoesThroughWindowinIllinois

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 19:04:08 -0600

Hi Chris,
The basic problem here, after all the numbers I punched into my calculator,
is that you believed the newspaper that the free falling velocity was only
60 mph, which gave rise to your 18 mph wind suggestion (I think). That (60
mph) case actually correlates more closely with the hand thrown object.

The falling meteorthing would have a free fall velocity of 124 mph (in my
opinion) based on the evidence it came in like a four point Ninja Throwing
Star complete with rotational motion (and have no need for the aerodynamic
scenario, thank goodness), and caused damage using the same principles of
mechanics that those light and deadly weapons do. (I assumed only 105 mph as
an average of the extremes).

On the non-violent and friendly side of things, I really hope sometime to
experience the Colorado Cliff phenomenon you mentioned - now it is right up
there with magnetic hill in New Brunswick. Thanks again.

Thanks for the kind comments and clarification that you had proposed two
separate mechanisms. I made the time to analyze it against my better
judgment and am now paying for it. So no more, except to mention in an
important footnote that my attempted example of "fishing for meteorites" was
a crappy example and did not properly correlate with my carefully thought
out arguments.

Best wishes,
Doug
MSI Mexico;-)