[meteorite-list] Ensisheim tkw compilation: RESULTS

From: M come Meteorite Meteorites <mcomemeteorite2004_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 16:40:18 +0100 (CET)

The same case in the work I am under build on italian
meteorite, of the Alfianello, on 228 kg. tkw, only at
70 kg. its know. For not speack of Vago...

Matteo

--- Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica at uha.fr> ha
scritto:

> Dear list,
>
> I wish to thank many of you for having provided new
> or corrected data for
> my compilation of Ensisheim meteorite masses.
> Now that the reception of such data had slowed down
> significantly, I am
> ready to send you, on request, my provisional
> compilation list as updated
> by March 6, 2007.
> Just feel free to ask for a copy, off list.
> Note; this list could be found on the Ensisheim web
> site in a near future).
>
> I also made the first evaluations and here are the
> results with some comments:
>
> 1) So far there are 158 different repositories, 73
> of them involving
> official institutes, museums
and 85 being in private
> hands.
>
> 2) While the total mass in each repository is
> accurate (the weights are
> taken as received), it is difficult to evaluate how
> many pieces are
> deposited in each place. When the number of pieces
> held in a (mostly
> private) collection is known, this was indicated (if
> more than one).
>
> 3) Except in few cases (Paris, London
museums), the
> [...]
> accuracy, even if the mass is small.
>
> 4) The presently existing total mass computed so far
> reaches 69,046.385
> grams, which represents 54.37% of the initial mass
> that is thought to be
> 127 kg, meaning that more than 45 % are still
> missing ! (or at least not on
> the present census).
>
> 5) The mass repartition is very inequivalent, thus:
> - Museums & institutes: 67,735.126 g (98.1%)
> - Private collections: 1,311.259 g (1.9%)
> (Note that the 53,831 g held at the Regency Palace
> in Ensisheim represent
> almost 78% of the big total (Institutes + private)).
>
> 6) The largest mass held in a private collection is
> with Marlin Cilz (416
> g, 6th rank), but this (old) number would require
> confirmation (see below).
> The smallest mass held in a private collection, 0.05
> g, was so far reported
> by Rhett Bourland (Evansville, IN).
> The smallest mass held in an official institute
> (rank 133) is from Black
> Hills Inst Geol. Res. (SD) and weighs 0.946 g
>
> 7) As reported before, my compilation was based on
> previous repositories or
> set of data, basically stemming from MetBase (2003),
> BM catalog (Grady
> 2000), Ensisheim archives (Schm?tzer, 1993), more
> recently completed by
> data provided by R. Kempton, NEMS (2003), J?rn
> Koblitz (2007 MetBase
> edition) and Pierre-Marie Pel? (his own compilation
> achieved in 2006-2007
> that allowed me to precise many old museum/institute
> old figures).
> Most of the private repositories come from your own
> data kindly sent on a
> regular basis through the list.
> Some reports came more recently from the subscribers
> of P.-M. Pel??s
> ?Encyclopedia of Meteorites?, upon specific call.
> I warmly thank again all of you for this extremely
> valuable help!
>
> 8) My compilation is being increased and improved
> permanently and your
> further help is always very much appreciated.
>
> Here are some data that I?d like to complete and for
> which I could not
> contact the owner(s) directly, for various reasons.
> If anyone can help,
> this will be more than great.
> Some specific questions:
>
> A) I need the accurate masses held in the following
> museums, for which I
> have old data (> 20 years) and/or inaccurate masses
> (the masses (in grams)
> I have, are given in parentheses):
>
> Berlin (905), Vienna (660), T?bingen (316), US NM
> (WA) (258), Uppsala (SE)
> (210), Tempe (AZ) (209), Cambridge (GB) (133), AMS
> (NY) (111), G?ttingen
> (111), Calcutta (77), Basel (77), Copenhagen (74),
> Strasbourg (FR) (74),
> Oxford (GB) (71), Paris Ecole des Mines (38),
> Freiberg (DE) (28), Harvard
> (MA) 21), Moscow Geol. Mus (11), Tallin (ES) (11),
), St Petersburg (RU) (4)
some museum in
> Holland (???)
>
> B) Same question, from the following private
> collections:
>
> Cilz (416), Labenne (88), Haag (85), Horejsi (28.2),
> Heinlein (26.5), Du
> Pont coll (8 g
still exists ?)

> C) The repositories are classified by cities (as in
> MetBase). I need the
> following data:
>
> Is J. Schwade living in Kankakee or in Crystal Lake
> ?
> Is Marc Labenne living in Sarasota (FL) or in
> Tergnion (France) ?
> Which are the cities and US States where live:
> - R. C. Cavalieri (USA) ?
> - J.-M. Daillier (France) ?
> - P. Pibburns (USA) ?
>
> THANKS SO MUCH ONCE MORE !