[meteorite-list] Walter Zeitschel - bad news

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 10:26:54 +0100

Dear list members,

I have to report some bad news concerning Walter Zeitschel.
A few days ago he had an accident, felt down and broke his leg, the neck of
femur.
The surgery went well, additionally he received a hip prosthesis, but it's
not sure if he will recover his mobility again, which was limited already
before.

For those, who don't know him in person: Walter Zeitschel was one of the
greatest collector personages of the 20th century, owning once the largest
private meteorite collection of the world. - once I had his copy of the
Hays-catalogue and it was unbelievable to see, behind which and behind how
many locales he marked with a dot, that they are found in his collection.
Bernd got his first meteorite from him, me too - and I guess you won't find
any pre-internet collector in Europe, who hasn't Zeitschel-specimens in his
collection.
All of us cherish Walter for his humour and as inexhaustible source of
meteorite stories.

As he has no internet access at hospital and his wife Niki doesn't know so
well to use a computer and really is stricken by other sorrow now,
you can't contact Walter by email for the next 2 months.

So please send your get-well wishes to Michael Hofmann:
Meteorites at gmx.com
He will print them out and will deliver them to Walter, when he will visit
him in hospital these days.

And to avoid this post getting a style of an obituary:
Walter with his energy feels already - despite the pains - very bored in
hospital.
Thus send him meteoritical news, scoops, articles via the given address!

Martin & Michael