[meteorite-list] BL meteorite NWA1685 Achondrite clasts?

From: tett <tett_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 11:00:02 -0500

Hello list,

I have been having fun with my BL meteorites and just aquired a nice ~100
gram slice.

There was much discussion about this LL5 meteorite a while ago because of
its gorgeous crust. Not so much discussion on its interior. My new slice
is incredible! It has large homogeneous grey clasts which do not attract
magnets. I was wondering if these clasts are achondritic? Can an LL5
brecciated meteorite include abundant achondritic clast or would this alter
its classification

Does anyone have more info on its classification? The Met Bull. still lists
this as provisional.

The first pic is of my new slice. Notice the large central inclusion.
The second pic is a smaller 6 gram end slice and the third pic is my 66 gram
beautiful individual.
http://ca.geocities.com/tett at rogers.com/metpics/NWA1685_99.jpg
http://ca.geocities.com/tett at rogers.com/metpics/NWA1685_5.8.jpg
http://ca.geocities.com/tett at rogers.com/metpics/NWA1685_66.8.jpg

Jeff Kuyken also has some nice pics and info on this stuff.
http://www.meteorites.com.au/odds&ends/bl.html

Cheers on a wintery Saturday morning in Canada.

Mike Tettenborn