[meteorite-list] A friendly warning...

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 10:12:47 -0400

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 10:42:43 +0200, you wrote:

>Well, actually it took Michael almost a month to have the item shipped. I
>believe that is not what we call a timely shipment. As Darren Garrison
>remarked pertinently, Michael offers very poor customer service as compared
>to other meteorite dealers.

Yes, since my package did arrive, around a year and a half late in a torn, diry
bubblepack but postmarked at around the time that I made the purchase, it was
obviously some weird screw-up by the USPS and no fault at all of his. But when
I sent (polite, not rude) e-mails to him asking if it had been shipped after it
didn't show up in a few weeks, he ignored every one of the e-mails and didn't
reply in any way until I brought it to the attention of the list, after which he
swiftly replied. Both the private e-mails and the mail to the list went to the
same e-mail address. So I (and you) were supposed to believe that the private
e-mails were lost, but the list e-mail to the same address wasn't. No, it is
just lousy, rude, indifferent customer service, and I'd rather give my money to
the Hupes or Mike Farmer or Dean Bessey or virtually any other meteorite dealer,
who DO take the time to answer e-mail questions.

To sum it up-- lost mail not his fault-- way he treats customers IS his fault.
And I think it entirely appropriate to give a caveat emptor to the list.