[meteorite-list] Seven Plagues and Killer Meteorites

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 18:09:11 -0400

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 16:33:29 -0400, you wrote:

> That isn't why we are here. We are here for meteorites, not mightbe's and
>myths or annual events that did plague the Nile until recent history. If you

I agree. But the reson I brought it up was the constant assertions that EP guy
"knows" about all these past comet and meteorite strikes on the Earth because
of-- believing fairy tales of Native American tribes. And if some people read
the list and believe his unsubstantiated, fringe pseudoscience (which if it
finds a REAL impact it will be like a blind squirrel finding a nut) and then
pass it along in other writings or tell it to people, who then pass it around...
that unsubstantiated story suddenly becomes yet another piece of false meteorite
lore "known to be true" by the public. In other words, just like the rest of
oral and written history works.

>cannot accept that, then meteorites aren't real either and maybe you should
>leave. I mean, really now, have you seen a rock strike the earth that was
>from space with your own eyes?

I can believe that a meteorite is real because I can LOOK at it, TOUCH it, see
the results of testing on it. What I would have question is claims like: it was
red hot when it landed, it did loopty-loops in the air before it landed, that
the finder was told by God that he would find a meteorite (as some guy in
Australia a while back claimed), that it was an omen of suchity-such, that it
made a dog turn to dust when it landed, etc, etc.