[meteorite-list] Successful Trip

From: David Pensenstadler <dfpens01_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:16:18 -0700 (PDT)

Dear List:

A few weeks ago there was a thread about successful
hunts. I would like to report that I am back from a
successful hunt to Gold Basin and to Franconia.

Although, not in the same league as Rubin, Mike, Sonny
and other big time hunters, I did have some success.

My first stop was at Gold Basin. After parking in a
dry wash and getting out of the car, the first thing I
heard was the rattle of a snake. I couldn't see
anything, and it quickly stopped. So, carefully, I
removed my equipment. After moving to a number of
locations and bending to dig about a thousand hot
rocks, I learned how to tell the difference between
them and the zip-zip of a real meteorite.

Eventually, I found a 4.0 g piece in the Elephant Wash
area. At about 7 pm, after hearing a gunshot, I
decided it was time to call it a day. I did find 4
other suspects - magnetic, metal flakes, but no
chondrules. I need to smooth the surface better to
see any chondrules.

I stayed overnight in Kingman, AZ, and went to the
Franconia strewnfield the next day. Thanks to some
good information given to me by Dennis Wells, I was
able to get to a good part of the strewnfield. I only
found one piece, a 2 g individual, but was thrilled
when it jumped onto my magnet. I used a Fisher Gold
Bug 2 and was very pleased with its performance. The
coordinates of the find were: N34 45' 36.3", W114 13'
58.6".

Although I didn't find that 10 Kg piece, I was very
happy with this trip and consider it very successful.

Regards,

Dave