[meteorite-list] Arrowheads from NWA - post-Pleistocene

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:27:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Thaddeus, all -

Most infomative, but...

The source was stated to be the Sahara, not the Atlas
mountains.

The problem that you always have with NWA is
provenience, and that is as true for lithics as well
as meteorites. I think that some of this material is
even coming in from as far away as Mauretania.

The local archeaologists do not have the money to
excavate, in the same way that the local geologists do
not have the money to collect meteorites. What might
be the role of the private market in supporting these
academics is one of those vast questions which I
suppose is beyond the scope of discussion here. In
the meantime, people earn a living, as they usually
do.

I guess that given this situation, one of the
important things that has to be done is to identify
the major source rocks from which these tools were
fashioned. (There is a more elegant term for these
quarries, but it escapes me right now, as many things
do since my stroke.)

Micro-lithic technologies and early domesticates
appear to have spread from the east. Egyptian dates
were given as around 12,000 BCE.

Sheep husbandry appears to have spread from the
Mediterranean to coastal Europe and Africa at a fairly
late date, accompanying tunny fishing and pottery, say
about 6,000 BCE. Cattle husbandry appears to have
developed in the Eastern Sahara slightly earlier, say
about 9,000 BCE, with appearance say about 8,000 BCE
in Egypt.

As the bow and arrow appear late in the Americas, I
would be interested in learning exactly where this
technology developed, and how it spread.

The early African coastal sites are undoubtedly
several hundred feet underwater, as are early coastal
sites are throughout the world. They were drowned as
the ice caps melted following the holocene start
impact in the North Pacific.

Given all the circa dates, it might be nice to have
some tree ring dates for the formation of the Alaskan
mucks and the flooding of the Black Sea.

At any rate, it's good to know you're there to type
this material when it comes in.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas

(http://www.reference-wordsmith.com/cgi-bin/lookup.cgi?exact=1&terms=Neolithic).