[meteorite-list] Rosetta Stone Analogy

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:16:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Peter and List,

First, I do know why there is a problem here at all.
The stone in questions is different from the rest of
the Dhofar 908 stones as Norbert already pointed out.
I made it clear it was part of the Dhofar pairing
series from the beginning but, none the less, a very
special stone.

Second, The practice of nicknaming stones dates back
to the time of when they were first being collected.
Museums engage in this practice, scientists nicknamed
every rock they studied on Mars and I have heard them
in the lab using choice nicknames for meteorites after
working on them. "Twisted Sister", "Tooth Stone" and
"That Damn Crazy Stone" all come to mind.

Everybody knows the "Garza Stone" is part of the Park
Forest fall but its special history separates it from
the rest. The press only references it as the "Garza
Stone" and that is how it is known. Should it just be
called Park Forest when it has such a special and rich
history?

I think nicknames add to the historical and scientific
significance of particular pieces and this age old
tradition should continue but just like anything else,
there is room for abuse. The "Rosetta Stone" Analogy
and nickname are perfectly fine when describing this
fantastic stone. You pointed out that scientists
referred to SAH99555 as a "Rosetta Stone". I don't
hear anybody crying about this questionable abuse?
Maybe, because it is a perfectly acceptable practice
used for centuries.

Best Regards,

Adam