[meteorite-list] AD - Rosetta Stone Pieces

From: Peter Marmet <p.marmet_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 20:58:09 +0200

Dhofar 908...Rosetta stone?

For many years that expression was used for NWA 99555:

A very important new paper on our angrite SAH99555 (Sahara 99555, a
2710g single stone with black fusion crust found by our team in May
1999) was published in the last issue of the scientific journal
Nature. In the words of co-authors Joel Baker, Director of Geology
School of Earth Sciences, University of Wellington, NEW ZEALAND, and
Martin Bizarro, Leader, MC-ICP-MS Laboratory, University of
Copenhagen, DENMARK : ?Your angrite meteorite find SAH9955 is now the
oldest absolutely dated igneous rock in the Solar System, has clear
evidence for the former presence of short-lived 26Al in it (which
caused planetesimal melting), and very likely will become the
"Rosetta Stone" for early Solar System chronology?...

Will every a bit special meteorite be nicknamed "Rosetta Stone" now?

To my knowledge Dhofar 908 is paired with Dhofar 302, 303, 305, 306,
307, 309, 310, 311, 730, 731, 489, 908, 909, 911, 950, and 1085...
It seems that Dho 908 has something that all those others do not
have. This is very interesting and I'd be very pleased to know more
about that phenomenon.
Thank you!

Peter