[meteorite-list] Chondrule Bleaching in NWA 4781 (CH3)?

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 03 Jun 2007 18:14:46 UT

Hello John, Marcin, David and List,

John wrote: "I snapped a few pictures to show this meteorite's texture and variety."

http://www.johnkashuba.com/Pages/Meteorite%20Pages/Pictures/NWA4781CH3.htm

Thank you, John, for these wonderful snapshots!

John also wrote: "This IS a fun rock." -- It surely is!

John then also wrote: "small perfect chondrules" -- Yep, most of them ca. 0.1 mm

And furthermore: "... a little bleaching on a couple RP/C chondrules?"

Roll of drums: This afternoon, I took a picture at 56x and detected what might
be interpreted as an incipient stage of chondrule bleaching in several of the RP
(= radiating pyroxene) chondrules of my polished endcut. I did not find any C
(= cryptocrystalline) chondrules with signs of bleaching though.

For the list:

Chondrule bleaching is the result of leaching by water having percolated through the
matrix of this meteorite (such chondrules are better known as "bull's eye chondrules")
and is thus indicative of aqueous activity on this meteorite's parent body (or bodies).

Best CH3 regards,

Bernd