[meteorite-list] Cali Colombia fall

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 05:54:53 -0700 (PDT)

Here is a link to the Sunday newspaper article
regarding the Cali fall.
http://www.elpais.com.co/historico/jul222007/REG/meteo.html
I just did a 7 am radio interview and am now leaving
for a hunt with the local astronomy club.
For a taste of what it is like here, only 30 meters
from the first meteorite is the entrance to the
municiple garbage dump. Two days ago, we were there
talking to the trash people who live at the dump and
scrounge for things to sell. As we were there, in a
massive downpour of rain, we say a man get out of a
truck and dump a dead human body wrapped in plastic. I
dont know if they found it, or were dumping it. WE
were told to leave and we left. Later in the same day,
in the chaotic traffic, we saw a motorcycle hit and
kill a dog and wreck himself, pretty serious, and
about 5 minutes later, an overturned taxi which had
been broadsided.
It is certainly one of the more interesting places,
and most dangerous we have yet had to investigate a
meteorite fall.

We have of course, hundreds of photos, but we cannot
upload them here, better to do that in Tucson in a few
days.
I thought that the newspaper articles would interest a
few on the list and tide them over, not quite as
exciting as meteorwrongs and H5 chondrites from NWA,
but I do tend to like new falls.

The meteorite seems to be an H chondrite, many very
well defined small chondrules, lots of metal and a lot
of sulfides! I think that it is an H3 or H4 because of
that.

More news tonight.

Michael Farmer/Robert Ward in Cali, Colombia.