[meteorite-list] MIND BLOWING

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:22:19 +0100

Regarding wind powered mars walkers No chance - Surely wouldn't it be
much better & more efficient to just use some large solar panels and
some small motors? To me the complexity, reliability, and weight
considerations (bearing in mind you will also need a lot of redundancy
built in), with a 'wind powered mars walker' - would be ridiculous!
(Though I have no doubt NASA or someone will waste million$ coming to
that conclusion!)

As Sterling so eloquently pointed out, the vane area would have be over
80 times bigger then an earth device, just to work on a windy day. So it
could be sat on the martian surface for months waiting for the right
wind, hardly a reliable scientific research tool.

Imho - We should be sending a large moon buggy style car to mars, so we
can drive some serious distance (and send the rocks back here).

Best,

Mark Ford