[meteorite-list] GPS

From: Robert Williamson <catoni52_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:48:58 -0700

Greetings: Here is a list of manufacturers.
                 Garmin
                 TomTom Inc.
                 Magellan (Thales Corporation)
                 Trimble
                 Lowrance Electronics Inc.
                 Navman
                 Cobra Electronics Corporation
                 Pharos Science and Apllications Inc.
                 Mio Technology Limited
                 TeleNav Inc.
                 Tripod Data Systems (Subsidiary of Trimble)
                 Wherify Wireless Inc.

        The biggest for your use is of course Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, and one or two others.
 I have used both Garmin and Magellan and I am happy with both. There are many people who also swear by Lowrance, although I have not used their units. As well as Meteorite hunting, camping and hiking, and amateur geology in northern Canada, I also use them for Geocaching.
    On Geocaching.com you will find the two biggest groups are those that are loyal users of Garmin, and loyal users of Magellan. People who love Lowrance, and other manufacturers have smaller followings. Everyone has their reasons for prefering a certain manufacturer or dis-liking a certain manufacturer. But without a doubt, Garmin and Magellan are way out in front of Lowrance and the others.
    At the moment I use both Garmin and Magellan. I own a Magellan eXplorist 400, and a Garmin Geko 201. They do everything that I need, and both are extremely accurate if you use them properly. Both units have WAAS.
    The Magellan has a few more bells and whistles, but I find that the Garmin gets used a bit more because it is smaller and packs easily for hiking. I would not sell either one.
    There are times when I use the Magellan when I want highway or topo mapping capability, but the Garmin Geko fills most of my needs very well.
    I have also used earlier Garmin and Magellan units in the past and have been happy with both.
    I can't say anything about Lowrance, or other manufacturers. I have no experience with those units. But there are people that love them, and people that don't like them very much. Lowrance has had a good reputation in the past, that much I know.

        Rob Williamson