[meteorite-list] Alaskan Muck, Tsunami, and Hibben (too long)

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 21:09:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Paul -

Please excuse the tardiness of my reply. I have
pressing matters to attend to.

You raise many points in your effort to obscure one
point, the point Hibben recovered. That point may be
placed between say about 45,000 BCE and 8,249 BCE.

As background for those of meteoritical bent, Frank
Hibben was one of the first archaeologists to excavate
Folsom and Clovis remains, and in 1933 and 1941 he
traveled to Alaska trying to find remains of early man
along the "Siberian Land Bridge". Hibben's account of
the work of the pioneering archaeologists makes for a
fine read, and his description of what he found in
Alaska, and where he found it, makes for particularly
fascinating reading....

"Frozen in the muck walls, or beaten out beneath the
insistent pounding of the streams of water {from the
hydraulic jets], were logs and twisted trees and
branches and stumps. Here and there were layers of
moss and peat; but nowhere in the muck could we find a
layer of charcoal, or a fire pit, or any of those
other indications that we had come to associate with
the campsites of the ancient hunters.

"Mammals there were in abundance, dumped in all
attitudes of death. Most of them were pulled apart by
some unexplained prehistoric catastrophic disturbance.
Legs and torsos and heads and fragments were found
together in piles or scattered separately. But nowhere
could we find any definite evidence that humans had
ever walked among these trumpeting herds or had ever
seen their final end.

"On one particular rainy, dark afternoon, we were
assisting one of the paleontologists in excavating the
remains of an Alaskan lion-a great, striped beast with
long fangs, slightly reminiscent of a Bengal tiger. He
looked like a nasty customer in death, even though he
was represented only by scattered bones in the black
muck. As we sought for the lower jaw of the lion in a
newly revealed surface of muck, we found our evidence
of man-a flint point still frozen solid in the muck
bank.

"Its position was about ninety feet below the original
surface. We photographed it in place, then removed it
from the frozen ground, eagerly held it up, and turned
it over for inspection. We washed the clinging muck
from it in the muddy water beneath our feet. It was of
pink stone, finely chipped and gracefully shaped, and
undoubtedly made by the hand of man."

Hibbens concluded that the massive slaughter which he
had seen in the muck had been caused by worldwide
volcanic eruptions:

"One of the most interesting of the theories of the
Pleistocene end is that which explains this ancient
tragedy by world-wide, earthshaking volcanic eruptions
of catastrophic violence. This bizarre idea, queerly
enough, has considerable support, especially in the
Alaskan and Siberian regions.

"Interspersed in the muck depths and sometimes through
the very piles of bones and tusks themselves are
layers of volcanic ash. There is no doubt that
coincidental with the end of the Pleistocene animals,
at least in Alaska, there were volcanic eruptions of
tremendous proportions. It stands to reason that
animals whose flesh is still preserved must have been
killed and buried quickly to be preserved at all.
Bodies that die and lie on the surface soon
disintegrate and the bones are scattered. A volcanic
eruption would explain the end of the Alaskan animals
all at one time, and in a manner that would satisfy
the evidences there as we know them. The herds would
be killed in their tracks either by the blanket of
volcanic ash covering them and causing death by heat
or suffocation, or indirectly by the volcanic gases.
Toxic clouds of gas from volcanic upheavals could well
cause death on a gigantic scale. If every individual,
old and young, were killed, extinction would naturally
follow."

Alaska is a seismically active area with many
volcanoes, some of which Hibbens himself had seen
erupting, and it seems not unnatural that Hibbens
assumed that the ash which he saw in the mucks came
from volcanoes. One problem with this explanation is
that the known volcanoes did not massively erupt world
wide around this time. Another problem with this
explanation is that several Native American peoples
clearly remember that the dust which Hibbens saw came
from a comet.

Cleaarly Hibben's description of the area where he
made his point find and the location studied by the
later archaeologists you mention do not match. But
then perhaps the point of their exercise was simply to
smear Hibbens and catastrophism? On the other hand, I
can think of no reason why Hibbens would engage in
fraud. Provide me with one and I'll consider your
arguments.

"It is simply impossible for a single extraterrestrial
impact to have caused multiple Pleistocene extinction
events." But that is exactly what several of the
first peoples remembered. You can read their account
in my book ($25 through Crow Clan Jewelry).

Mr.Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas

Message: 6