[meteorite-list] GPS

From: Pat Brown <radio_ranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 15:27:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi CJ,

As an electronic engineer of 26 years, a ham radio
operator, general electronics geek and a meteorite
hunter, here is my opinion:

1) Good receiver sensitivity (the SiRFStar3 chip set
in some of the newer Garmin units {Including the
GPSMAP60Cx} meets this requirement)

2) Good direct sunlight visible screen (the 270 degree
super twist transflective display on some of the newer
Garmin units {including the GPSMAP60Cx}meet this
requirement)

3) Available topo map software (almost all GPS units
do this)

4) Available street map software (almost all GPS units
do this)

5) Large, easy to read waypoint display (the Garmin
GPSMAP60Cx meets this requirement)

6) Ability to hold a lot of waypoints (almost all GPS
units do this)

7) Good battery life (GPSMAP60Cx gets about 28 hours
out of 2 AA Duracells)

8) Reasonable support for hardware and software issues
(Garmin is sort of OK, I do not know if the others are
any better)

9) WAAS accuracy enhancement mode (Garmin GPSMAP60Cx
does this)

Well, you can see the theme here. The Garmin
GPSMAP60Cx (and the GPSMAP60CSx with the electronic
compass and barometric altimeter) meet these
requirements well in my opinion. Good suppliers of
this hardware are amazon and discountgps both are dot
com.

Pat Brown