[meteorite-list] EBAY Slag for sale

From: Randy Korotev <korotev_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 17:17:07 -0500

Sterling:

I didn't know about millerite, and I'm glad to
know more than I did. I talked to a colleague
who knows a lot about Missouri caves. He's seen
millerite, but he thinks it's volumetrically
rare. His reaction was the same as mine - it's a
mass-balance problem. In smelting iron ore a
given volume of metal would never be exposed to
enough limestone for the metal get pumped up to
600 ppm Ni. Geochemically, nickel is a
"siderophile" (iron-loving) element, so iron
metal would take all the nickel from the
limestone and the millerite it contained. But
the limestone would not likely contain more than
1 ppm Ni, perhaps all carried by millerite. So
the metal reduced from the ore would have to be
exposed to 600+ times its mass in limestone. I
don't think that happens. If the operation was
also deliberately roasting sulfides, however, it
probably wouldn't be a problem.

Another colleague asked, tongue in cheek, "How
much Ni would there be in the metal puddle left
if you melted a car?" His point (I think; this
was over Friday evening beer) was that even a
modern metal recycling operation would
occasionally get some nickel-rich metals.

Randy Korotev