[meteorite-list] Ebay Buyer Bewares

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:39:53 -0800

Hello All,
Just a heads up - if you couldn't tell from the description, this one's a
scam.

_
http://cgi.ebay.com/Meteorite-3-229-Grams-Solid-Iron-Meteorite-WOW_W0QQitemZ230084232264QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3239QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
_

<
http://cgi.ebay.com/Meteorite-3-229-Grams-Solid-Iron-Meteorite-WOW_W0QQitemZ230084232264QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3239QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

While at the U of Az this summer, I was told a bit of info about this piece,
it's visual characteristics, and the hesitance of the owner to get it
chemically tested. It looks like a pretty flaky Canyon Diablo in person,
and the owner claims to have found it...in its already wire-brushed form ;)
I don't know about the crap they said regarding molds that have been put on
display - none were.
$.30/g for a biggish CD is a bit high for me....I think most would agree.

Oh - and have a look at what's quite possibly the most expensive Nantan (by
weight anyways) to ever hit Ebay...

_
http://cgi.ebay.com/Meteorite-Stoney-Meteor-Extraterrestrial-Troilite_W0QQitemZ320074247924QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3239QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
_

<
http://cgi.ebay.com/Meteorite-Stoney-Meteor-Extraterrestrial-Troilite_W0QQitemZ320074247924QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3239QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

To voice another of my suspicions, does anyone notice a similarity to NWA
869?

_
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-BOUSE-Meteorite-SLICE-L4-6-chondrite-very-limited_W0QQitemZ230080307115QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3239QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
_

<
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-BOUSE-Meteorite-SLICE-L4-6-chondrite-very-limited_W0QQitemZ230080307115QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3239QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just wondering - after all, the individual that went a few weeks ago on Ebay
looked identical to countless beautifully desert varnished individuals of
NWA 869 that I've seen in Moroccans' trays - and laying about my desk. The
fact that this slice is also visually indistinguishable from 869 makes me
somewhat more sure of my suspicions.
Mind you, I have no evidence to prove that it isn't a new Arizona find. In
my personal opinion, however, if it looks and smells like a particular
meteorite, odds are...
Well, you know what I mean - always use your noggin with Ebay.

Regards,
Jason