[meteorite-list] Fwd: Re: Potter: RFS Picture of the Day - January 27, 2007

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 19:57:39 -0800 (PST)

Sorry I forgot to send to list.

  Dear Darren, Bernd, Mark and List,
    Nininger was sitting in a local coffee shop-truck stop and truckdriver Max Matheson (brother-in-law to Dale Mckinney-son of Cecil McKinney) happen to stop in and Nininger showed him a meteorite. Matheson told him of the rock that was sitting in Dale and Cecil`s yard. Later Nininger drove to Potter to see the meteorite and later purchased it. A local artifact hunter had also collected some of the rock from my Great Grandfater`s land and together all of the rock was sold to Nininger. Later in the 1960-70s Glen Huss and his wife came again and asked to buy more and my uncle Dale sold them the rest of the rock.
    Shortly after the death of Cecil McKinney the remaing 50 pound piece was stolen from Cecil`s yard (it was supposed to be kept a family heirloom and given to me). My Great Grandfather never showed me the original fall site but my uncle had some recollection as to where it was found and gave me some very poor directions to its location. In the winter of 1993, my son and I got up at 3am on a cold winter`s morning and drove from Fort Collins to the Potter location. Just at sunrise I opened my truck door and reached down and picked up my first very own Potter meteorite. My son, then three, also found some pieces of Potter that day and an arrowhead.
    From 1993-1996 my son and I stopped there several times and collected a few kilos. The site is now covered in grass and now yields nothing. Metal detectors don`t work because the metal content in Potter is very low and the local caliche gives false-positives. BTW. The site is located nearby a rattlesnake den and on any given day one to ten rattlesnakes can be seen.
    I hope that this clears up the story more. I am the only family member with any of the remaining Potter for sale and it has all been found by myself.
    Sincerely, Dirk Ross...Tokyo

Darren Garrison <cynapse at charter.net> wrote:
  On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:52:39 -0600, you wrote:

>I do not see a disagreement with what you wrote and what is in Nininger?s
>book. This leads me to suspect that Dirk is using FAFS as a reference. No
>reference is noted so if I am wrong, please correct me Dirk.

>The difference in the two accounts is that Nininger says in the book that he
>met that brother-in-law at a Colorado truck stop, while the article says
>that the McKinney?s were referred to Nininger by a local guy.

Differences include Nininger's book saying it was the brother-in-law that ran
into Nininger and not the son-in-law, as Dirk said. Also, the detail of "using
some to hold down a disc plow" doesn't appear in Nininger's book or the
newspaper article (which I had looked at before). Both of which imply to me
that Dirk has first-hand information that disagrees with (and expands on) the
Nininger book and the newspaper article. Not to mention that googling the name
of the two farmers lead to a post Dirk made on a different mailing list (that is
still archived and indexed by Google) that shows that he original finder gave
pieces of Potter to Dirk himself, and thus was alive to tell him his side of the
story directly. No need for him to rely on secondary sources:

http://lists.drizzle.com/pipermail/rockhounds/2005-August/013616.html

Therefore, I believe that Dirk (through direct access to the finder) had it
right, and both the newspaper article and Nininger (husband or wife) had it
wrong in the details that do not agree. (Dirk, you wanna step into this?)