[meteorite-list] new thread - how to tell if you are stepping up

From: Alexander Seidel <gsac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 19:10:59 +0100

Well, I believe calling them "slides" is a rather informal term, which may be used by those who know what they are talking about. In fact, I am using this term when me and my supplier of thin sections email each other, who is a well-known and respected old time dealer based in the U.S., and he knows what I mean and sometimes also uses this word in our private communication.

This is most probably not at all what you could call a scientifically accepted term. It is used in informal talk instead. Then again, this other term "thin slide" sounds rather strange to me, when talking of meteorite thin sections - while I must say I am not a native English speaker.

Native English speakers, the majority of this list, may contribute some more bits and bytes on this....

Alex
Berlin/Germany

-------- Original-Nachricht --------