[meteorite-list] troilite euhedral crystals

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 17:57:36 +0100

Yes Dave, I know (as a chemist since the late 1960'...).
Though I would expect that troilite would more rapidly react with HCl than
a more complex sulphide of (Fe,Ni,Co) (but this is just a guess, I never
tried a test reaction).

Now, these crystals most probably represent a sulphide commonly found in
OC's but that underwent far more dramatic (at least different) treatment
conditions in space (in terms of ageing and perhaps "passivation" towards
an oxidative of acidic aggressor) than on earth (just a speculation).
What is sure is that it is metallic (luster), thus most probably sulphide
and not elemental nickel (very unlikely).

I will neve accept treating these beauties by HCl just to check what they
are. I prefer to opt for some physico-chemical micro- and non destructive
technique (experiments planned for future as we wish to perhaps publish
these findings).

And, above all, I wish to preserve this beauty.
What an archive for extraterrestrial materials (heritage) so far so poor in
crystals (but wait for future planetary explorations....)

Zelimir

A 16:43 13/01/2007 +0000, vous avez ?crit :