[meteorite-list] NWA 3159 - Vesicular, plutonic eucrite with (pre-)terrestrial crystals?

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 13 Jan 2007 16:28:16 UT

Z?limir wrote: "Gary, many thanks for the URL. Breathtaking photos indeed."

Yep. Thank you very much, Gary, for posting the pictures!

Z?limir: "the aggregate ... a simple sand grain embedded into the vesicle."

I am also leaning towards a terrestrial provenance - like Ingo and Z?limir.
By the way, the "true" color of the crystals (it's one large crystal and several
smaller ones attached to it and to the "walls" and the bottom of the vesicle)
is that of rose quartz

> Did you just try to touch it with some tiny tweezers or pin, just to see
> (under scope) whether it moves back and forth from its equilibrium position

Yes, I did but it is firmly anchored to the bottom and the walls
of this vesicular cavity.

Another observation of potential interest:

When you look at photo #2 on Gary's website (magnification 32x) and click on
"Click here for an extreme closeup of the above photo", you may recognize a
black (opaque), tube-like crystal in the 5 o'clock position smack between
the large crystal and the wall of the vesicular cavity. Again, I wonder what
that might be! Maybe goethite?

Thanks for all your comments!

Bernd