[meteorite-list] Missing Tucson this year

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 11:38:18 -0800

Dear List Members,

If anybody cares, I will NOT be attending the Tucson show this year.
Although it used to be the number one show on my list, it no longer holds
this title for me for several reasons, mainly the lack of decent
accommodations.

It seems for the last several years, some cheesy motel/hotel rips us off. We
book online at $140.00 plus a night for what was advertised as a two-star
facility just to find out it when we get there that it is some crack-user
infested shack that should be condemned. Two years ago, the Econo Lodge
tried to rip us off for nearly a $1,000.00 by charging my credit card even
though we refused to stay in this falsely advertised hell hole. They tacked
on an extra night before we even arrived in Tucson to make the theft
complete. I used to stay by the airport but the hotels have now raised their
prices to $250.00 a night. I could stay in a five-star hotel in the
Caribbean for half this amount, come on, we are talking about Tucson here!
The only other show I have been to where the hotels jack up their prices
this much is Las Vegas and I refuse to pay $250.00 a night for a $50.00 a
night room just because I am attending a convention.

I was going to come down this year with my RV but decided it was not worth
the risk going through the passes which are buried in snow and ice. This
time of year, the coastal route is far too windy and time consuming to
hardly make it worth the effort. At 53' front to back, the winds would
cause havoc with my setup as anybody with any road time with a rig will tell
you. I will wait until late winter when I can spend months in the field
searching California before putting any of my equipment in jeopardy.

I added up my receipts from last year's Tucson show and decided it would be
cheaper to attend the show in Germany, something I have yet to try and look
forward to.

For those who will be attending the show, have a great time and stay away
from the Econo Lodge! I will forward some money to my brother, Greg who
will be to pay off the margaritas and beers I owe on the Moss meteorite lost
wagers.

All the Best,

Adam