[meteorite-list] Irons DON'T form Fusion Crust's... was Iron Falls & NJO

From: Dave Carothers <david.carothers_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 16:58:18 -0500

Good evening Elton and list.

Your point was that the definition of fusion crust needs to be changed
because, by definition, it doesn't "fit" iron meteorites. Elton, you wrote:

> Here is the technical point explained ... a
> (meteoritical) fusion crust is a thin glassy coating
> (NOTE it is composed of GLASS). Owing to effects of
> atmosphere and composition, fusion crusts may be
> knobby, striated, ribbed, net, porous, warty, or
> scoriaceous(bubbly) (Glossary of Geology, American
> Geological Institute,2nd Ed) To be composed of glass
> it must have a "silicate" content which can be
> vitrified; that is turned amorphous/glassy by
> melting/fusing(the technical term is fused or fusing)
> ; and that is the operative word in the phrase "fusion
> crust".

If the definition as posted included the phrase (NOTE it is composed of
GLASS), I would concur that this make the definition exclusive to meteorites
composed of stone (including forms of silicate material).

The word "glassy" as it relates to the phrase "a thin glassy coating... " is
an adjective and qualifies the description of the "coating" as being
glass-like or something shiny, very smooth, and mirror-like. It does NOT
mean the fusion crust is composed of glass. The definition continues to
state that "fusion crusts may be knobby, striated, ribbed, net, porous,
warty, or scoriaceous(bubbly). This appears to contradict the declarative
statement that "a fusion crust is a thin glassy (i.e a shiny, very smooth,
and mirror-like) coating". As a result of this contradiction, I would agree
that the definition could be changed to eliminate the contradiction.

My $0.02.

Dave