[meteorite-list] Forestburg (b) L5 chondrite

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 07 Jan 2007 21:46:13 UT

Hello Gary and List,

> I just received and photographed this very nice slice of Forestburg (b)
> from the Hupe Collection...and this one is just beautiful Shock stage
> S5, weathering grade W1; the chondrite is shock blackened and contains
> impact melt clasts.

If you want to take a look it is here:

http://www.meteorite-dealers.com/forestburg2-6.html

Congratulations, Gary! Excellent choice!

Anyone who hasn't seen this beauty yet, should do so. Like Gary, I am one of the happy
owners of a beautiful Forestburg (b) slice. Forestburg (b) is much more "handsome" than
Forestburg (a). My Forestburg (a/b) slices are from M. Cottingham and when I first saw
Michael's Forestburg (b) pictures on EBay, I knew I had to own it. It still is one of my
all-time favorites with its grayish-black, fresh matrix, its abundant, evenly distributed
FeNi specks, and its grayish-white oval chondrules!

Although it is possible that the stone has been transported by water (rusty brown, weathered
fusion crust), it is so very fresh that it seems improbable that it was exposed to water for
a longer period of time.

Even though its Fa value of 25.8 puts it in the vicinity of the LL chondrites, its low-Ca
pyroxene composition (Fs21.6) is still within the range for L chondrites. What a meteorite!

Best wishes,

Bernd

To: gary at webbers.com
    meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com