[meteorite-list] Fossil, Relict, or Paleo- was "Fossil" NWA 2828

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 01:43:46 -0600

Hi,

    This is clearly a case where the terminology
has not caught up with what's being described.
There are many ways in which a Meteorite can
age over a geologically significant time period,
or a very short time, for that matter.
    The term "fossil" not only applies to ancient
materials altered in composition, but to situations
where the original materials have been completely
replaced by other minerals which are deposited
in their place, preserving the form, but not the
substance, of the original.
    It's my impression that the very oldest "fossil"
meteorites, those from Sweden that date back
380,000,000 to 410,000,000 years ago, are largely
"replacement" materials.
    Irons are a completely different case. No matter
how ancient the shale, it is the original material, now
completely oxidized, but while the iron atoms are
those of the original object, terrestrialization causes
their original form to be completely lost.
    In a shorter run, the minerals of a stone meteorite
are altered to different minerals while retaining their
original form, and often the agent is water, as was
apparently the case in these much-discussed NWA's.
    Has anyone produced an estimated terrestrial age
for them? (I looked at some of the references but
didn't see any estimates or determinations.) Since
the Sahara was wet until the end of the recent Ice
Age, they need not be particularly ancient.
    Talking about terminology always sounds like
quibbling (sorry). Part of the problem is that the
recovered meteorites that we know about are the
ones lucky enough to land softly in a nice desert
or dry lake or to be found soon enough that they
haven't rotted away, and they DO rot away very
quickly. For example, Iowa is much wetter than
Kansas. Iowa has ONE chondrite that's a Find
(not a Fall); Kansas has nearly 120. (OK, having
Nininger helps some...)
    We were talking a few weeks ago about Tagish
Lake, that is, the ones that got away and have been
underwater for 5 years. I bet they're VERY altered
and terrestrialized by now, unrecognizable sludge,
but you could hardly call them "paleo-meteorites"!
    So, we're talking about meteorites that may be
very ancient or may not be particularly ancient at
all, that may be almost totally replaced, or that may
be almost totally altered but not replaced at all,
that may retain their original forms, or that may
be nothing but a pile of red dirt.
    It doesn't sound to me like a single term applies
reasonably to all these cases. On the basis of how
the terms are used in the other sciences, I don't
see how you could call anything a "fossil" unless
it retains (much of) its original form, and it seems
to me that "altered" should be a milder term than
"terrestrialized," but from what you say it's the other
way around; a thing can be "altered" a little or a lot,
but "terrestrialized" implies a transformation.
    "Paleo-" corresponds to no particular scale of
age, the term being used freely in hundreds of age-
differing contexts, and indeed, age may be irrelevant
to the strange condition of a meteorite that's in the
process of disappearing into the inhospitable and
very hostile environment of Earth (not at all like a
nice clean vacuum where the Sun always shines
and a rock can bask in its rays for all of its days,
and it never rains, not for billions of years).

Sterling K. Webb