[meteorite-list] Fossil, Relict, or Paleo- was "Fossil" NWA 2828

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 09:52:01 -0500

As I was heavily involved in developing the NomCom rules, let me give
my take on this whole discussion:

Our actions were stimulated by the Osterplana "fossil" meteorites, as
they are commonly called in the literature. For those who don't know
these, they are a group of several dozen objects embedded in
Ordovician age carbonate rocks in Sweden. Many of these have
chondritic structures, with chondrule textures clearly
visible. Others are simply dark clasts in the limestone. The only
primary meteoritic mineral left, if anything, is some chromite, and
everything else has been replaced by secondary, terrestrial
minerals. Thus, the chondrules are pseudomorphs and the chromite is
relict. Brunflo is a similar occurrence found in another quarry.

We needed a guideline to cover the naming of these objects, but the
usual guidelines for meteorites were inadequate. These meteorites
present a continuum of cases, from ones we were comfortable calling
"fossil" meteorites (they preserve the original structure and can be
classified, mostly as L chondrites) to ones that nobody can or will
ever classify, or even prove beyond a reasonable doubt to be
meteoritic in origin.

Now combine these occurrences with other things in the
literature. There are meteoritic clasts in some terrestrial rocks
that survive with most of their primary minerals and structures
intact. The Morokweng meteorite described in Nature by Maier et al
last year was also called a "fossil" meteorite, but only the metal
and sulfide were replaced by secondary minerals; silicates are little
altered. For the purpose of meteorite nomenclature, we would want to
treat this case like any other meteorite found on Earth... it's a
meteorite by any reckoning. I don't know the details, but perhaps
NWA 2828 is a similar case.

We also have things around like iron shale, which I don't think
should be distinguished from cases like the Osterplana objects, as
Sterling Webb does. Both types can contain some of the chemical
signature or structure of the original meteorite and are largely
composed of secondary minerals. However, these are not fossils, as
they are not preserved in the geologic record. They are the products
of weathering meteorites at the earth's surface. But from a
nomenclature perspective, they need to be treated the same as the
Osterplana objects.

This is why we came up with the operational term "relict
meteorite." It covers all objects that are largely altered, but
which have relict signatures indicating a meteoritic origin,
including composition, texture, isotopes, or whatever. Relict does
not mean fossil. Some relict meteorites are fossil meteorites, like
the classifiable Osterplana specimens and Brunflo, and some are not,
like a highly weathered, barely recognizable stone from the Sahara, a
piece of iron shale from Arizona, or a chip of fusion crust collected
on the Antarctic ice (like LAP 04531). Conversely, some fossil
meteorites are not relict meteorites, like the Morokweng stone. The
terms relict and fossil are independent of each other. (I have no
opinion on this term "paleometeorite" which I have not seen defined.)

One last comment. The Wlotzka weathering scale (W0-W6) is not
applicable to anything but ordinary chondrites. This is why we can't
just extend it to W7 and use it to cover all highly weathered meteorites.

jeff