[meteorite-list] Smoking Gun => Lake Murray???

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 06 Jan 2007 15:12:47 UT

Steve wrote:

When Rob Elliott was in Chicago back in 2002, we were talking
about LAKE MURRAY, the iron, possibly being the smoking gun.

Mike T. responded: Thanks Steve! That's the one.

According to Sicree et al., Lake Murray is one of the oldest or possibly
the oldest paleoiron (terrestrial age = 120 m.y.), but it is not the one
that killed the dinosaurs!

Reference:

SICREE A.A. et al. (1997) Potential for preservation and recovery of fossil
iron meteorites from coal, trona, limestone and other sedimentary rocks
(Meteoritics 32-4, 1997, A121).

Traces of the smoking gun may have been found in a Chicxulub drillcore - an impact
breccia (suevite) only 10 mm in diameter. The authors conclude that it was possibly
a carbonaceous chondrite.

Reference:

MORTON-BERMEA O. et al. (2003) First evidence of Chicxulub impact
bolide projectile at the Yaxcopoil-I drill (MAPS 38-7, 2003, A101).

Cheers,

Bernd