[meteorite-list] Fw: Meteors Light Up Morning Sky in Colorado

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 16:21:21 -0700

Hi Jos?-

Fireballs can certainly be visible for more than a few seconds. This
one: http://www.cloudbait.com/science/fireball20061001.html was visible
for at least 45 seconds. I've recorded several others that were at least
15 seconds long. People under the central part of the Peekskill path saw
it for about 30 seconds. The Grand Teton fireball was about 30 seconds.
Tagish Lake produced a fireball at least 15 seconds long.

Reentering space debris is not necessarily traveling at a much lower
speed than natural meteors. An object decaying from low Earth orbit
(which would seem to describe all space junk) has a speed of about 8
km/s, and a slow meteor has a speed of about 11 km/s. Of course, most
meteors will be faster (up to 71 km/s), but the famous slow fireballs
have very similar characteristics to decaying space junk- low speed and
shallow entry angles- and may similarly be seen for many seconds.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com