[meteorite-list] Larry's Holbrook Holy Grail Find and BobHaag's Venus Stone

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:07:53 -0800

Hello All,
There are a few things that separate Adamana from Holbrook in my mind...
The texture of the crust alone of Adamana versus that of Holbrook leaves me
little doubt that the two could possibly be paired.
The fusion crust of Adamana is a matte black, which contrasts sharply with
the crust of recently found Holbrooks, which exhibit a typically blue/black
almost shiny crust in most cases, often liberally spread with rust spots.
The interior tells the same story - Adamana is a uniform brown, with
chondrules poking out here and there. Recently found Holbrooks tend to be
less weathered internally, if not more externally, and their dark chondrules
contrast starkly with the lighter matrix, creating a much more heterogeneous
appearance than that of Adamana. Adamana appears to have been weathered for
a prolonged period of time in much drier conditions than all newly found
Holbrooks that I've seen; its interior is uniformly weathered and yet the
exterior remains virtually untouched, whereas, as can be seen by Larry's
recent Holbrook find, the meteorite appears to have weathered more outside
than in, to the point of decomposition, even though the matrix appears to
have been less stained by rust. This, however, is at least partly due to
the friability of Holbrook (Adamana does not appear to share this trait with
the Holbrook fall). Whereas, when holding Adamana, I noticed that the
broken edges appeared to have been somewhat polished by weathering (a very
slight amount), all weathered Holbrooks that I've seen of any great size
have simply fragmented given the same amount of weathering.
The location of the find....
Fifteen miles is simply impossible, unless it was artificially transported.
The mapped strewnfield was roughly one mile long by a half mile wide. The
largest stone recovered, weighing in at ~14.5 lbs, was found at the end of
this ellipse. The possibility that anything made it farther than this stone
is great - it wouldn't surprise me too greatly if a 20lber was found another
quarter of a mile on (it could've buried itself on impact, etc), but to say
that a smaller stone continued another fifteen miles beyond the known end of
the strewnfield is simply ridiculous, to say nothing of the fact that it is
much too far north to even be near the same path as the body that created
the Holbrook strewnfield.
My $.02,
Jason