[meteorite-list] ill need more AGAIN

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 00:04:22 -0600

Hi,

    Mark is certainly correct about the hoaxing propensities
of 19th century (and early 20th century) newspapers. The
ultimate example is that is the "Great Moon Hoax" of 1832:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Moon_Hoax

    You will note that Mark's list is of very dramatic accounts.
OK, the death of a wedding guest has a certain drama, but
the death of a horse in West Virginia is not the stuff of a real
blockbuster.

    To be sure, we need to be certain. Somebody has to go
there, get the stone, and do all the scientific dirty work. BUT,
that does not mean the obverse, that all unverified events are
untrue, hoaxes, folk tales, urban legends, and the like. SOME
are; others are not.

    When we get back to older historical records, they are most
often just that: records, official, never made public, internal
documents, private correspondence, and so forth. Gervase of
Canterbury's description of a dramatic Lunar impact event
witnessed on the evening of June 18, 1178, was recorded in
the "day book" of the monastery and not discovered for many
centuries; it was not sent immediately to cable TV.

    [Currently that event is on the debunking calendar:
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news118.html
but the debunker's arguments are themselves bunk, well,
that's not the topic here.]

    But, in Mark's wonderful collection of newspaper accounts
of real meteorites that actually fell, one will find lots of bizarre
"details" that sound "fake." So, if REAL falls produce partially
unbelievable accounts, why should a reasonably sober account
be dismissed out of hand?

Sterling K. Webb